Published by Adrian Hocking on 1st December 2011
Conducting a worldwide or global patent search for an invention prior to submitting a patent application can be useful in identifying relevant prior art, such as earlier patents and published ideas.
Having come up with your idea, you will have no doubt already conducted some research into whether the idea is already on the market. However, before filing a patent application, a prudent step would be to complete a global patent search to establish if someone has alrady protected or tought of your idea, even if it has not yet been launched into the market.
Albright Patents LLP offers fast, thorough and informative Patent Search services undertaken by professional and experienced patent searchers. Three patent search packages are offered to suit all budgets.
The benefit of a professional worlwide search is that earlier ideas and publications can be located. These may be relevant to your invention. As such, these results can then be taken into account when defining what your invention is, and circumvention of these earlier designs can be consdiered if necessary.
These patent search results are also of benefit when considering whether to pursue your own patnet application. For example, if an earlier idea is simply too close to your own invention, thenit may not be worthwhile going to the expense of preparing and filing your own patent application.
Benefits of pre-application patent searching :
- If a similar patent is found by the professional patent search, it can save you time and money.
- It can help to establish your idea’s overall uniqueness very quickly.
- the pre-application patent search can help to establish what aspects of the idea are truly original.
- Once completed, the patent search will enable a patent application to be drafted that is not anticipated by the prior art documents found in the patent search.
- The product development of the idea or invention can take into account any possible infringement issues occuring from patents returned in the search results which are pending and in force.
- Our professional pre-application patent search is typically compelted within 5 to 7 working days of instruction.
Our worldwide patent search is carried out by a team of professional patent and design analysts and former UK Patent Office Examiners.
You will also receive an intial brief summary written conclusion by a Chartered Patent Attorney, ensuring the best professional advice on how to proceed with your patent application in light of the search results.
If a large number of highly relevant documents are found, then further analysis may be required and the Attorney dealing with your case will advise and provide an estimate of costs at that time.
The UK IPO completes a search on your idea once your patent application has been filed and you have paid the search fee and filed Form 9A. However this search requires that you draft and file an application including description, claims, drawings and abstract and takes around 4 months to complete. Drafting and filing typically costs more than intiial patent searching, and therefore many of our clients find it prudent to undertake an initial patent search first of all in an effort to establish the originality of their invention.
Searching can be completed to different levels depending on your available budget. These options increase the thoroughness of the search techniques used but also take more time to complete and therefore cost more. If you have any doubt about which search to choose then please call us to discuss which is the most appropriate for you and your idea.